Car accidents are a common occurrence, but what is not is multi-car pileups. When an accident happens that includes multiple vehicles it can be a very scary thing, and also very deadly.
Multi-car pileups or crashes are when one vehicle, typically a driver that is being negligent, causes a chain reaction of crashes that can injure or even kill the victims involved. If you or a loved one experienced a multi-car pileup you should reach out to attorneys who handle car accident cases. They will be able to help you get the justice and compensation you deserve.
Causes of Multiple Vehicle Pileups and Crashes.
There are many reasons a multi-car pileup can happen, most times it is due to a negligent driver that is driving irresponsibility. A car accident attorney will be able to prove their negligence and fight for you in court. Here are a few situations that could cause a multi-car accident:
· Poor weather conditions: The weather can have a huge impact on vehicle crashes, it could be snow or ice, fog that decreases visibility, and even the sun if it hinders your vision. One should be very careful when driving in conditions that could cause a vehicle pileup.
· If a driver is speeding: driving too fast gives a driver less time to react when they see other vehicles, they could also be driving too fast for the road itself, such as a sharp turn or abrupt stoplight.
· If a driver is fatigued: drivers who drive when they are too tired can cause accidents and be a factor in a multi-car pileup.
· Distracted driving: there are so many things in this world today that can distract a driver, such as cell phones for starters. It could even be a billboard that took their eyes off the road, eating, or talking to friends in the car that distracts them. These distractions take the drivers attention ff the road and can be a cause for a multi-vehicle pileup.
· Driving while intoxicated or under the influence of drugs: drinking and drug use can hinder the driver’s senses making it very possible to cause a multi-car pileup.
· Following another vehicle too closely: If one is driving too close to another vehicle, often called “tailgating” it will not give them enough time to react and this could cause a chain reaction of crashes.
· Road construction: sometimes road construction can alter a road to make it more narrow, if a driver does not notice it in time they could cause a collision.
· Even other accidents: drivers often slow down to look at another accident that has occurred, this in turn can cause another accident with multiple vehicles.
And there is a possibility that multiple of these causes can be present to cause a multi-car pileup. An example might be if someone’s car is broken down on the side of the road, and a driver can not see them due to the sun or fog can cause one of these multi-vehicle crashes.
Common Injuries Caused by Multi-Vehicle Pileups
As mentioned, a car crash involving multiple vehicles can seriously injure or kill someone. These injuries can range from mild to severe, some include:
· Back and spinal cord injuries
· Neck injuries
· Traumatic brain injuries
· Damage to joints, ligaments, tendons
· Internal organ injuries
· Psychological trauma including post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
· Complex regional pain syndrome.
If you sustained an injury in a multi-vehicle crash, the first thing you should do is seek immediate medical attention. After that, contact a car accident attorney so they can help you seek compensation for your injuries due to someone else’s negligence.
Hire a Car Accident Attorney if You were Involved in a Multi-Car Pileup
A car accident attorney will know your rights when someone caused multiple vehicles to crash due to their negligence. They can help you get compensation for your injuries and even lost wages if the injuries are so severe you are unable to work. There are many ways a multi-vehicle crash can happen and the injures one can sustain can have lasting impacts on their health and well-being. A car accident attorney will help you get a settlement with these cases, so the case does not have to go to court.
If no settlement can be reached, then they will find the facts of the case and fight for you in court. Needless to say, these types of vehicle accidents are very dangerous and can happen at any time, contact a car accident attorney so they can help you.